Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Buried Treasure

There is a legend in my family that has been told over and over again over the past couple decades. It is the legend of my oldest brother's buried treasure. 29 years ago he decided to bury a treasure on the mountain behind our home. He left a map with directions to this treasure in his journal. My brother is an avid journal writer - to this day. He felt that if any of his posterity took the time to read his journals - they would be rewarded with a map to a buried treasure. Very cool! 
Well my brother felt the time had finally come. He wanted to take his kids and find his buried treasure. And we were lucky enough to get invited!  So the evening before the 4th of July we started our ascent up the mountainside. 
It was a pretty tough hike - straight up the mountain so sadly some of us (including me) only made it halfway.   But it was a lovely evening and the view was spectacular so we were more than happy to rest and enjoy the beauty of the mountain.  The rest of the story was told to me later...
Finding the treasure was not an easy task.  They dug in a few different spots without success.  They were tired, frustrated, disappointed and it was getting dark.  They decided to dig in one more spot.  They dug and dug - nothing.  They were just about to give up after one last shovel-full.  Then a corner of a garbage bag appeared!  They had found the buried treasure!  


We all scrambled back down the mountain in the dark and took the treasure to my parents' house so my brother and his kids could open it.  He couldn't quite remember exactly what he had put in it.



The treasure was finally opened and the contents revealed:
His missionary tag.
A knife he used when he was a scout.  I think I can tell what his son was the most excited about!
A poem that he had written.
A newspaper from the week he buried the treasure.
There were a few other things  - some were of monetary value and some were symbols of what he loved and the person he was. A piece of willow because he built willow furniture during that time, a feather because he raised and trained falcons and hawks, and a marble egg from his collection because he loved their simple beauty.  There was a cassette tape (!) where he had recorded himself describing each item in the treasure and why he had included it, some songs he composed and his testimony of the gospel.  Of course none of us had a cassette player handy - so we weren't able to listen to it.  We had a good laugh when he found a personal check that he had written out to "my wife" for $100.00.  I am sure that seemed like a lot of money at the time! 
This was a wonderful experience - I am grateful my family was able to be a part of it.  Not only do I love the idea of doing something like this, I loved seeing each item of this treasure and how they represented what an amazing person my brother is!

No comments: