Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trimming the Tree and a Very Long Dress

We are right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Christmas!


 After days of begging from the kids we finally got our tree up about a week ago.  I have a little tip to share about putting lights on the Christmas tree - we get a live tree each year.  But first a little history...in my home when I was growing up it was my dad who put the lights on the Christmas tree.  Over time I learned his techniques.  Years later I married Wes and left home.  It was our first Christmas together when we picked out our tree and brought it home to our little apartment.  Wes proceeded to string the lights on the tree as I looked on.  It immediately became clear that Wes was NOT using my father's techniques and I let him know it - wrap the trunk first and then wrap each branch, etc.  It turned into a big argument and to make a long story short - I have been lighting the tree every since!
Anyway - back to the tip.  The two things that really bother me about lighting the tree are the prickly branches (some are more annoying than others) and the sap that gets all over my hands and clothes.  Hence - the rubber dishwashing gloves.  They make it much more comfortable!  


After the tree was finally lit - the kids received their traditional yearly ornaments.  And the decorating began!  Sadly our tree is a little droopy this year.  But it is still twinkly and festive!
This has nothing to do with Christmas decorating but it was pretty funny.  Addie is in an all girls choir this year and a few months ago we had to send in her measurements for her choir dress.  Somehow her height measurement must have been lost in the shuffle....

If only I knew how to sew!

2 comments:

Kip said...

That is hilarious with the mix-up on Addie's dress! If she were really that tall, she could play basketball for the Jazz!

Jennette said...

That dress is hysterical!! Put her on some stilts for the concert. And, your tree is lovely. Ours is still undecorated.....