Still working my way through cooking this book
Apricot-Glazed Spiced Pork Roast
1 1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 2 1/2-3 pound boneless pork loin roast
1 C apricot preserves
2-3 T white wine vinegar
1. For rub, in a small bowl stir together spices. Sprinkle rub evenly over roast and rub it in. Wrap roast in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours.
2. Unwrap roast and discard plastic wrap. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast in a 325 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 135 degrees F.
3. Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small saucepan cook and stir apricot preserves and vinegar over medium heat until preserves are melted. Remove from heat. Brush roast generously with the glaze. Roast for 15 minutes more or until meat thermometer reads 150 degrees F, brushing 2 or 3 more times with glaze.
4. Remove roast from oven; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. The final temperature should read 160 degrees F. Reheat remaining glaze and serve with roast if desired.
Glazed Sweet Potatoes
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 C coarsely chopped onions (I used less)
1/2 t dried rosemary, crushed
1/3 C butter
1/3 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, cook sweet potatoes, covered, in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 10-12 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile in large skillet cook onions and rosemary in hot butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until onions are tender; stirring frequently. Add brown sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add sweet potatoes. Stir gently to combine. Cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until potatoes are glazed, stirring gently once or twice. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with pecans.
1 18 oz. roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough (I used this but did not like it. I would have preferred a homemade sugar cookie dough or a shortbread dough.)
1/4 C flour
3 T butter, melted
2 T pure maple syrup
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C chopped pecans
1/2 t cinnamon
1. Line a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with foil. Lightly grease the foil; set aside. In a large bowl combine cookie dough and flour; stir or knead until well mixed. Press dough evenly into prepared pan.
2. In a small bowl combine melted butter and maple syrup. Drizzle syrup mixture over dough, spreading evenly. In another small bowl combine brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over syrup layer in pan.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven about 20 minutes or until edges are firm (center will be soft). Cool completely on a wire rack. Use foil to life from pan. Cut into bars.