Sunday, March 16, 2008

Music, Culture and Good Friends



It's been a busy weekend but one that we have anticipated for quite a while. The busyness actually started Thursday evening when I was able to take my two oldest to the Young Artist's Concert with the Utah Valley Symphony. I was thrilled that my kids were able to hear these incredibly talented young people ages 11-17 so adept at their instruments. Being a little biased towards the piano pieces, I was especially impressed with the 15 year old girl who played Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and the two young men who played Rachmaninoff concertos. Truly, "impressed" is an understatement.

The next day I was privileged to hear my mom give a presentation on the book, Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. I read this book several years ago and loved it. My mom's presentation was informative, interesting, and thought-provoking. It was excellent. If you haven't read this book, I would highly recommend it.

Friday evening, Wes and I were treated with his dad's 3rd row tickets to see the Utah Opera at the Capitol Theater. We saw Cinderella by Rossini and it was delightful. I haven't been to an opera for a long time but I loved it. My first experience with opera at the Capitol Theater was when I was a child - my parents took me to see Madame Butterfly. They related the story to me in the car on the way about the tragic love story between an American Lieutenant and a beautiful Japanese Geisha. I hate to admit I was a little disappointed when the lovely Madame Butterfly was portrayed by a very large, very overpowering, middle-aged African-American woman (no offense intended - I was just a little girl expecting a young asian beauty). I really loved the music, though. Anyway, thanks to Dave and Connie for a marvelous experience.

Saturday morning, our dear friends the Reynolds and their two daughters arrived from Chicago for their annual ski trip. As so many know, friendships made while living thousands of miles from home during the struggles of schooling are friends for life. The Reynolds are such friends. We always enjoy their company and this trip was no exception. The kids played around the house and yard and then we all went to the North American Museum of Ancient Life. We got a couple of babysitters for the evening and joined the Binghams, also dear med school friends for a dinner at The Melting Pot . This was truly a dining experience! It's all about fondue and we went all out with the cheese, meat, and chocolate. Oh my this was delicious! If I ever go again (which I hope will be soon!) I could do with simply the cheese and chocolate. Not to mention how much I loved being with great friends! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. And sadly, not one picture to show off the good times.
Today we said goodbye to the Reynolds as they head off for the slopes. I can't wait until next year! Thanks for everything guys!

3 comments:

Anna said...

That symphony sounds fantastic....the whole weekend does.

Julie said...

Totally awesome! Just hearing about it inspires me. What a treat. All of it. I am now having a serious craving for good music, good friends, and good fondue!

Anna said...

PS Emily you should post about Undaunted Courage over on the reading blog! It is one of Rob's all time favorites. He actually wishes he were Lewis and/or Clark.