Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Fun

*warning - long post*
Yesterday was an exhausting but very fun day.
First a quick but funny story...
Wes was working Sunday morning so I was on my own for choir practice, getting the house ready for Easter dinner with the family, making a yummy new bread recipe, and getting the kids fed and ready for church. I think a small headache started during this time...anyway, Wes showed up about five minutes before we were leaving early for church to rehearse again with the choir. Sacrament meeting was going smoothly and then it was time for the choir to sing. I passed my baby off to the next row and headed for the stand. The first song was lovely - the choir did great. While I was leading the second song, all of a sudden I notice that Cate has come up to the stand and is sitting next to Addie in the choir seats. I try to ignore it and focus on the music. Next thing I know she is walking across the stand to sit in the seats right in front of me. She sits there for about 3 seconds before she decides to stand next to me while I am leading. I was trying to hold it together but I didn't know what to do! She started to put her hand up my skirt and I was afraid she was going to lift up my skirt in front of the whole choir! At that point I tried to shoo her away with my hand while I was still trying to maintain composure and keep the choir in focus. I was relieved when she finally walked off the stand only to be shocked when she came back up the other side. Why doesn't somebody grab her?! She came back to stand by me (I stand up on a stool in front of the podium so the choir can see me) although this time she turned around and started to talk in the microphone. The Bishop finally grabbed her and held her on his lap. The song ended and I looked over at a tearful Cate. Ugh. I hope most the the congregation was able to ignore her but the whole episode ruined any chance I had of feeling the spirit of the song. And it was a beautiful song, an arrangement of How Infinite God's Wisdom - and the choir did a wonderful job - despite it all. I was disappointed because it didn't go exactly like I wanted it to. I was caught somewhere between laughing, crying and strangling Cate. I sat down and realized my headache had doubled (also due to the fact that I myself had forgotten to eat lunch). Of course, everyone was so nice about it. One woman said jokingly, "don't kill Cate. It went fine." Only in this culture would people be so understanding! Wes was taking calls all through the meetings and I was hanging on by a thread but we finally made it through church.
The family came an hour later and we had a lovely Easter dinner and a fun Easter egg hunt in the yard.





Lastly, we were so excited to finally give the kids their Easter present. We've been hiding them in the basement for 3 days!
Introducing....
Flopsy and Mopsy







These are our new pet Netherland dwarf bunnies. We decided to get dwarf bunnies an purpose. Bear with me for another quick story. When I was a little girl (probably about 9 or 10 years old), my best friend and I decided we wanted some baby bunnies for Easter. My parents wouldn't budge - the answer was "no." My friends dad was a little more...persuadable and he agreed to drive us out to the house that advertised they were giving away lop-eared bunnies. We each picked out a little bunny and spent the next couple of weeks adoring our new pets. We played outside with them on the lawn and fed them and cleaned their cage - no big deal. Until they started to grow. They got bigger and bigger and pretty soon, we couldn't pick them up anymore. They just scratched us and wiggled and we started to not want anything to do with them. And as it turned out - they were not lop-eared afterall. Their ears stood straight up! Well, after discussing this with my parents, we all thought that we could claim false advertising and perhaps the owners would be willing to negotiate to take bunnies back. My parents were good sports and drove out to the house and my dad with all of his entrapeneurial skills went to the front door. No on answered. We really didn't want to drive out again - it was about 30 minutes away. Well, my friend and I knew where the hutch was. We stuffed the bunnies inside, left a note that said "sorry, we wanted lop-eared bunnies," and drove away as fast as we could. We felt really bad but we hoped they would be forgiving. Besides, they had tons of bunnies - what's two more?You can see why I wanted to get bunnies for my kids that were going to stay small and manageable. We'll see how it goes!

9 comments:

Gillespie Family said...

Thats so awsome you got bunnys. I bet the kids are so so happy. We want to come see them. Wyatts new favorite is bunnys.

Melissa said...

That's so fun!! The song went great on Sunday-I felt the spirit!!

Anna said...

Sorry about Cate! Your bunnies are so cute!

Kati said...

Love the story of your giant bunnies and your new ones are so adorable! my kids are so excited to see them.

Kris Olson said...

So funny about Cate! I know, not for you. I could just see her out of the corner of my eye... And yeah, why didn't anyone grab her?!! Bunnies are cute; I'm sure Kiersten will want to see 'em!

Julie said...

I loved your two stories! Oh, I remember those days of just barely making through church.

Michelle said...

I loved the stories- so funny! And I loved the decorated eggs!

Diana said...

Haha! I loved the stories. And the looks on your kids faces are WORTH having pets for--pure joy.

Jennette said...

That Cate story is too funny...I would have loved to see that go down in person! You made me giggle for sure. And those bunnies--so cute! Are the kids just dying with excitement? Congrats on what looks like a really fun Easter.