Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Eggs



One of my family's traditions when I was growing up was decorating eggs. And this wasn't the typical hard-boiled, dip it in the dye type of decorating. We would blow the eggs out and make fun and sometimes elaborate creations. Although a few have broken through the years, my mom still has most of the eggs we decorated. Unfortunately, I don't think she will be bringing the collection out this year so I won't be able to post any pictures but someday I will. There are some really creative and artistic eggs along with some very clever ones.

I love this tradition and I wanted to continue it with my kids. Wes and I actually decorated eggs the first two years we were married - the first Easter we made a bride and groom and the next year we made a nurse and a scientist. But we haven't really done it consistently since then. This year was the year. Time has been a little limited lately but we finally got a chance tonight to let the creative juices flow. I wish my kids could see my mom's collection just so they could really get the vision but they surprised me and did a great job anyway. Here are the results (Wes was working so he was unable to make an egg this year although his would have been fabulous I'm sure).

Addie made the earth and a decorated egg inspired by the children's story Rechenka's Eggs



Isaac's eggs were a little more abstract but the themes were birds and nature



Cate had a great time painting her eggs using lots of color



I also decorated an egg similar to one of "Rechenka's" and made a killer whale.



I can't wait to see what the kids come up with next year!!!

2 comments:

Kris Olson said...

So cool! Did you actually blow them first? Or just do them hard boiled?

Anna said...

What a fun tradition.